Thursday, January 31, 2019

Elephant Hunters

Recently I was going through an old hunting video from the jungles of Africa... it showed some white folks going on elephant hunting (more of an elephant trapping) - African elephants - with the help of the native Africans. As usual all I could see was how people can be bought in their own land and made to betray their own - humans, flora and fauna included - ever since a very long time.
How are man and woman made to turn against each other just for the petty playful relief of someone who sees them as nothing more than puppets to play their games with? Why does man submit to such authority? Does no one have an iota of self-respect at the end of the day?
Needless to say, these are in line with some thoughts that occur to me these days with a few issues I am facing and some people I get to see around - those that try to throw their pseudo-authority around (in vain) and those whose spineless backs I get to see as they run far, far away to save their butts. Sad humans I must say - both.
Should I lift a mirror and show them their faces or let it remain as contourless as they please? Should I be amazed at their complacence or admire their tactics for survival? Perhaps they too are like these Elephant Hunters capable of betraying their own for the tiny bits of morsels thrown at them by their masters - all that matters at the end of the day for them.
Isn't life a little bit more than that? As the old African quote goes, "In the Jungles of Africa, until the lion tells his side of the story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter...". Until then sleep Africa, sleep, sleep all you can if you really can sleep... 

No comments: