Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Evan Maar'okkay

When you are an outsider, that ugly duckling, the other, you are seldom free from being targeted or being slammed from repeated attacks with an indiscriminately fixed slur aimed and shot to do the intended damage behind one's back when nothing more rational or logical can be done in an open and fair battle ground. It saddens me to find that these comments are received by certain people expected to deliver justice in such situations choose to rather add their loose comments and criticisms that are often very stereotypical, lacks sophistication and showcases a very low taste and definitely does not demonstrate nor substantiate a multicultural inclusiveness as they tend to often claim in more open forums. Blatant lies so confidently told by mongrels who thrive on constructed pseudo-reality thinking they have harnessed the protection of people with the same amount of prejudice, stereotyping and bigotry as themselves; possibly as low in civility and cultural exposure as well. The limitless abundance of such pathetic ophidians.  
Recently I was a victim to one such racial remark too. Despite trying to shed identities, identities don't seem as merciful with me. My regional, religious and linguistic difference are often spotted and spite raised in spite of me making every conscious step to avert such awkward attacks. Recently based upon some baseless comment by a mythomaniac, another sacrosanct religious mortal referred to me with an instant disdain, "Evan Maar'okkay..." (which by the way means, "All these people" in Malayalam - supposedly what they manage to say when their conclusive opinion of a person is to be understood on the basis of what they have managed to limit their understanding of a group they suppose a person belongs to be.) hahaha! What limitless plethora of mediocrity! Evan Maar'okkay...
From a point of reflection, what do those words 'Evan Maar'okkay' even mean at its deepest sense? Isn't this the vulgurest way of showcasing one's attitude and perspective of others with which one has decided to see the so-called "others" with stereotype, prejudice and bigotry just because one has failed to understand them or even sanction their liberty without a bit of conscience to speak anything about someone just because the 'other' has been patient and does not react? Isn't this the reason for ethnic cleansing in many parts of the world just as genocide and lynching that happen in some parts closer to us? Aren't these racial and regional slurs reflective of their thoughts(?) and how long before these thoughts become action? How different are they that kill from they that consider it right to think in the same line?
I just wanted to reflect and at the same time clarify as to with what perspective am I being seen in a different space among people different from me - (differences I haven't noticed till then)? It is very odd to be the oddest one out in such a beautiful golden pond - a reminder that is reinstated every time incidents like this happen around me. These odds are identities made and handed over to me to wear and bear time after time, incident after incident, from which I have no escape or a resort to go for seeking justice as these are oppressive mandates directed by those to whom I am supposed to go to seek justice again; these situations which rarely happen yet undeniably happen seem to be happening over and over again within the past one year repeatedly ever since a cleansing ritual has began in this place I have been. This has made me feel ridiculous when I have found myself helpless and unable to defend myself when not even give a chance when often targeted. In Tamil, I have heard that bullets taken on one's back shows the cowardice of the enemy one has been fighting with so far; going by that I have fought too many cowards I suppose. At the end of the day, we have two divisions of people; the one who divide and those who don't. Evan Maar'okkay...  

No comments: